Former Girl Guide from Collier Row has surprise visit
A former Girl Guide was given a special thank you from the Olive Baden Powell Society after raising �200 for the international movement.
Olive Buckley from Collier Row, who is a member of the Romford Trefoil Guild had a visit earlier this month from Natalie Webber of the Olive Baden Powell Society, who came with Lady Baden Powell’s original badges.
Olive said: “It was brilliant.
“When I saw them I realised how nice they were and exactly why they are so valuable and the reason why they play such an important part in the movement.”
Natalie travelled from Eastbourne to Romford bringing the badges, worth �20,0000 with her.
You may also want to watch:
In May, Olive organised a ploughman’s lunch at her home, which helped to raise funds for the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS).
The Olive Baden Powell Society is trying to raise �25,000 so that the movement can continue internationally.
- 1 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 2 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 'Accident waiting to happen': Neighbours on 'traffic carnage' around school
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Havering parks retain Green Flag awards
- 10 87-room care home on Ardleigh Green college site granted permission
They want Lady Baden Powell’s badges to stay in the UK so that they can be seen by the latest members of the guide movement.
Olive, who became a girl guide when she was 11, said: “I remember meeting Lady Baden Powell when she came to Romford when I was a girl, so it was very nice to see her badges.
“It brought back lots of happy memories.”