First World War centenary: Project portraying the war experiences of residents awarded more than £8,000 in funding
- Credit: Archant
An attraction portraying the First World War experiences of local people has received more than £8,000 in funding.
Havering Museum and Havering Libraries Local Studies’ project Home Front Havering has been awarded £8,600 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).
The scheme, celebrating the centenary of the conflict, will run for two years and include an exhibition and online blog.
Cllr Melvin Wallace, cabinet member for culture and community engagement, said: “The museum and libraries service really deserve this grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
“The project Home Front Havering gives a graphic and heart rendering account of life and death on the battlefields and Home Front during the First World War years.”
You may also want to watch:
The sites will be hosting talks and free educational sessions for schools and children’s groups.
There will also be a mini-exhibition in 2015 on Sutton’s Farm aerodrome, in Hornchurch.
- 1 'Foul odour': Neighbours call for action over worsening sewage stench
- 2 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 3 Home owner ordered to pay £4,726 to remove overflowing rubbish
- 4 Patient gets £12k in out-of-court settlement with Romford dental practice
- 5 Pupils equipped for 'medical emergencies' after winning first aid classes
- 6 Heritage: Tragedy at the Upminster sewage works
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 People in hospital after Collier Row collision
- 9 Havering students secure places at University of Oxford summer school
- 10 Partner: Romford shooting verdict 'brushes police errors under the carpet'
Ellen Owen, director of Havering Museum, said: “The exhibition team has not only researched records but has also gathered information from residents.
“Our role now is to pass on this knowledge, which will become a lasting legacy for all generations.
“The support of HLF will ensure [these] people and their stories live on in our memories.”
Home Front Havering launches next Saturday.
For more information, call 01708 766571 or email email@example.com.