Firefighters free boy, 5, from South Street toilet, Romford, after an hour trapped by “faulty lock”

Firefighters had to be called after a faulty lock trapped a small boy in a Romford public toilet for an hour.

The five-year-old became stuck in the cubicle on South Street at about 2.15pm today (Monday). His desperate mother called the fire brigade at 2.43pm, and the incident was over by 3.10pm.

Five firefighters from Romford had to force open the door, which was supposed to unlock automatically after 15 minutes. The boy was flustered but unhurt.

One of the firemen told the Recorder: “He had a little sit in the fire engine and then he was right as rain.”

Do you know the boy, or has anything similar happened to you? Please call the news desk on 020 8477 3878 or e-mail

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter