FIRE UPDATE: One sister dies, another lives, in tragic house fire in Rosebank Avenue, Hornchurch
An elderly woman died at the scene of a house fire in Hornchurch today, and her sister lived.
The unmarried siblings, thought to be in their 80s and named locally as Irene and Betty Hussey, shared their home in Rosebank Avenue.
It is not known which of the two perished.
Fire crews were called to the scene at around 12.30pm.
It is believed men from a passing removals van saw the blaze, alerted authorities, and launched a rescue attempt.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics, including a doctor from London’s air ambulance, battled to save the victim, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The surviving sister was flown to The Royal London Hospital, in Whitechapel.
- 1 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 2 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 3 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 4 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 5 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 6 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 7 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 8 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 9 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 10 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
Her condition is not known.
The fire, thought to have been electrical, is not being treated as suspicious.