FIRE UPDATE: One sister dies, another lives, in tragic house fire in Rosebank Avenue, Hornchurch
An elderly woman died at the scene of a house fire in Hornchurch today, and her sister lived.
The unmarried siblings, thought to be in their 80s and named locally as Irene and Betty Hussey, shared their home in Rosebank Avenue.
It is not known which of the two perished.
Fire crews were called to the scene at around 12.30pm.
It is believed men from a passing removals van saw the blaze, alerted authorities, and launched a rescue attempt.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics, including a doctor from London’s air ambulance, battled to save the victim, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The surviving sister was flown to The Royal London Hospital, in Whitechapel.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Four people taken to hospital after Romford town centre incident
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 7 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
- 8 Romford location ‘encapsulates Britain’ in soon to premiere horror movie
- 9 Mourners to host vigil in Harold Hill park for lost teenage boys
- 10 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
Her condition is not known.
The fire, thought to have been electrical, is not being treated as suspicious.