Hornchurch house fire caused by 'barbecue gone wrong'
- Credit: Google
Firefighters rushed to extinguish a Hornchurch house fire which is believed to have been caused by a barbecue.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called after 25 reports of a house fire yesterday evening
The conservatory was destroyed and some of the ground floor and exterior of the house in Rochester Road was damaged by the blaze.
It is believed to have been caused by wind blowing flames from a barbecue into a house, and four people had left before the firefighters arrived.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “On arrival crews were faced with flames spreading inside the house and up the external side of the building from the barbecue in the garden.
You may also want to watch:
“If you’re having a barbecue, it’s vital that you place them on level ground, far away from anything that could catch fire, like sheds, fences or trees and out of the reach of children or pets.
"Make sure you keep them outdoors and never barbecue on a balcony."
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 4 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 7 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 8 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 9 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 10 Brentwood's unsung heroes helping the community during the pandemic