Fire ‘gutted’ Harold Hill vicarage
PUBLISHED: 10:38 18 February 2014 | UPDATED: 10:38 18 February 2014
An electrical fire “gutted” a vicarage in Harold Hill on Sunday night.
Four crews of firefighters from Harold Hill, Romford, Hornchurch and Dagenham were called to the empty four-bedroom property in Kings Lynn Drive at 7.30pm.
The fire damaged part of the ground floor and a large part of the staircase, which had fallen away.
The St George’s Church vicarage has been privately rented for the last two years but was set to house a new vicar after the last tenants moved out in Jaunary.
Brian Nelson, church warden, said: “Nothing like this has ever happened before. The place has been gutted.”
The brigade arrived at about 7.30pm and extinguished the fire in an hour - with teams returning throughout the night.
Police and the building’s electrical company are investigating the fire, which was believed to have started in an electrical unit underneath the stairs.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.