FA Cup First Round: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Leyton Orient 1

Danny Green earns Daggers a replay at Brisbane Road

Dagenham & Redbridge and Leyton Orient will meet again in a replay after a whole-hearted derby game ended all square at Victoria Road this afternoon.

The Daggers defence began shakily when Will Antwi, in his first game back from injury, missed a swipe at the ball and allowed in Jonathan Tehoue, but the also returning Abu Ogogo cleaned up the error.

There were also two early warnings for Orient soon after though when Vincelot, who scored twice against them in the league, was allowed a free header from a corner, before Bas Savage headed just wide from a free kick.

The game swung from end to end like a pendulum in the frenetic opening exchanges with Tehoue also nodding wide from a corner, Green tormenting his marker Charlie Daniels and Vincelot again finding space with a header in the penalty area.

The visitors twice went close to taking the lead minutes later when Solomon Taiwo’s errant back pass let Jimmy Smith through on goal, but Chris Lewington saved with feet, before the young stopper also blocked Stephen Dawson’s effort, following a slick exchange of passes with Dean Cox.

On-loan Liverpool midfielder Victor Palsson, making his debut for Daggers offered some rare bits of trickery in a game full of effort, but little quality from either side.

Most Read

The powerful Tehoue was instrumental in Orient taking the lead on 45 minutes when his sprint into the area took him past Antwi, but Vincelot appeared to have covered for his team-mate with a last-ditch challenge.

However, following the crunching tackle the ball fortuitously looped into the path of the on-rushing Alex Revell, who slotted past Lewington in front of the large travelling support.

As Daggers boss John Still prepared a motivational half-time team talk, his side unexpectedly levelled in the second minute of injury time.

His free kick, from towards the left-hand touchline, swung invitingly towards the near post and eluded everyone while keeper Lee Butcher could not claw it out from behind his line.

It was Green who initially came closest to putting either side ahead in the second period, but his back-heeled volley of a through ball was mis-controlled by Jon Nurse, who otherwise would have been through on goal.

The relentless pace of the first period appeared to sap both sides of energy as the pace noticeably slowed as the game went on.

Orient introduced veteran striker Scott McGleish in search of a winner as they began to retake control of the contest and Cox twice flashed wide from inside the area.

The defining moment of the half came on 83 minutes when Revell robbed Mark Arber of the ball in his own area and put it on a plate for Cox to seal the tie, only for Lewington to deny him with a superb point-blank save with his legs at full stretch.

Vincelot brought the home crowd to his feet in the dying seconds with a long-range effort, but neither side could find a winner and will battle it out again on at Brisbane Road.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter