Essex Senior Cup: Dagenham & Redbridge 3 Colchester United 2
Daggers knock out reigning champions in extra time at Victoria Road.
DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE advanced to the third round of the Essex Senior Cup on Tuesday night with an extra time victory over competition holders Colchester United.
Manager John Still fielded an experimental side with only defender Phil Ifil keeping his place in the team from Saturday’s League One defeat at Rochdale.
Summer signings Luke Wilkinson and Danny ‘DJ’ Green were handed rare starts, but it was a more familiar face who put them in front on 30 minutes when Josh Scott buried a left-footed shot into the net.
Winger Graeme Montgomery, who developed a habit of scoring important goals in Daggers’ successful play-off run last season, then hit the post just before half time.
You may also want to watch:
Colchester, who also used the match to give game time to players who have not featured much this season, sent the contest into extra time when Ian Henderson levelled on 78 minutes, following a cross from Mendy Elito.
The sides exchanged two goals in two minutes in extra time, with Green first re-establishing Daggers’ lead on 105 minutes, before Anthony Wordsworth immediately equalised.
- 1 Mum-of-two's long-term home 'nightmare' amid housing crisis
- 2 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 4 Met officers used 'excessive force' during Romford fight
- 5 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 6 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 7 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 8 Woman 'repulsed and sick' after finding bug in Lidl yoghurt
- 9 Romford student receives Amazon bursary for women studying computer science
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
Wilkinson headed home to make it 3-2 on 112 minutes, before the impressive Chris Lewington gave away a penalty in the dying seconds of the game.
Watford loanee Liam Henderson stepped up to take the kick, which would have sent the contest to a shoot-out, but his effort smacked against the crossbar to ensure Daggers’ progress.
Daggers: Lewington, Ifil (Lewis), Gwillim, Wilkinson, Walsh, Bingham, Currie, DJ Green (Gayle), Nurse, Scott (Okus), Montgomery. Subs not used: Sambridge.