Essex Senior Cup: Dagenham & Redbridge 3 Colchester United 2
Daggers knock out reigning champions in extra time at Victoria Road.
DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE advanced to the third round of the Essex Senior Cup on Tuesday night with an extra time victory over competition holders Colchester United.
Manager John Still fielded an experimental side with only defender Phil Ifil keeping his place in the team from Saturday’s League One defeat at Rochdale.
Summer signings Luke Wilkinson and Danny ‘DJ’ Green were handed rare starts, but it was a more familiar face who put them in front on 30 minutes when Josh Scott buried a left-footed shot into the net.
Winger Graeme Montgomery, who developed a habit of scoring important goals in Daggers’ successful play-off run last season, then hit the post just before half time.
You may also want to watch:
Colchester, who also used the match to give game time to players who have not featured much this season, sent the contest into extra time when Ian Henderson levelled on 78 minutes, following a cross from Mendy Elito.
The sides exchanged two goals in two minutes in extra time, with Green first re-establishing Daggers’ lead on 105 minutes, before Anthony Wordsworth immediately equalised.
- 1 Letters: Breaking bad news, boundary changes, lockdown and parking
- 2 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 3 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 4 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 5 Romford cancer patient describes impact of Covid pandemic on mental health
- 6 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 7 Sadly, this isn't a funny column
- 8 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 9 From the town hall: The fight against Covid-19 continues in Havering
- 10 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
Wilkinson headed home to make it 3-2 on 112 minutes, before the impressive Chris Lewington gave away a penalty in the dying seconds of the game.
Watford loanee Liam Henderson stepped up to take the kick, which would have sent the contest to a shoot-out, but his effort smacked against the crossbar to ensure Daggers’ progress.
Daggers: Lewington, Ifil (Lewis), Gwillim, Wilkinson, Walsh, Bingham, Currie, DJ Green (Gayle), Nurse, Scott (Okus), Montgomery. Subs not used: Sambridge.