Eric Pickles MP to spend night on the town with volunteers who make Brentwood safe at night
Eric Pickles MP for Brentwood and Ongar will be spending a night on the town with a difference next week.
He will be in Brentwood with Street Pastors on Friday night to see firsthand the work they do to ensure those enjoying the town’s nightlife get home safely.
Mr Pickles said: “I have heard only good things about the work that the volunteer team of Street Pastors do in the town on Friday and Saturday nights. They are unpaid volunteers of all ages and from all backgrounds who are trained in first aid and counselling.
“The Street Pastors tell me that during the winter months they give out ‘space blankets’ and flip flops to make sure no one suffers from hypothermia or a sprained ankle on the way home.
“These items cost a pound each, and are being bought in by the local churches. I am contacting all The Only Way Is Essex (Towie) related businesses in the town to see if they can help by sponsoring the tin foil blankets and flip flops to ensure this brilliant idea can continue.
You may also want to watch:
“It seems to me that keeping warm is a very cool thing to do!”
- 1 Four people taken to hospital after Romford town centre incident
- 2 East London police officer charged with rape
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 6 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 7 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
- 8 Mourners to host vigil in Harold Hill park for lost teenage boys
- 9 Romford location ‘encapsulates Britain’ in soon to premiere horror movie
- 10 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London