Elm Park woman taken to hospital following gas leak - four days after carbon monoxide leak
- Credit: Archant
A young Elm Park mother was taken to hospital after a gas leak in her flat – just four days after a carbon monoxide leak hospitalised her family.
An ambulance crew took the woman, who lives in a Mungo Park Road flat owned by Newham Council, to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, at about 10am on Saturday.
The family – including a 15-month-old baby – had only returned home from Whipps Cross Hospital two days previously following a potentially deadly carbon monoxide (CO) leak that broke out in their home on Tuesday, April 30.
As reported in last week’s Romford Recorder, upstairs neighbour Pauline Smith raised the alarm after her CO detector started going off.
This week, Pauline said the repeated leaks meant she was frightened to go to bed.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m scared to shut my eyes,” she told the Recorder. “I’m still in shock – I can’t believe it’s happened again.
“I think it’s absolutely appalling that it’s happened twice in a week. The council was only down here on Wednesday checking the flat to make sure it was safe.”
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 6 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 7 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 8 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 9 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 10 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
Newham Council’s “gas safe” team was working in the ground floor flat on Wednesday, May 1, and had traced the CO leak to a faulty cooker.
The National Grid confirmed it had been called to the flat at about 10.30am on Saturday.
A spokesman said the problem appeared to be internal, and that there was nothing wrong with the National Grid’s gas supply.
“We switched off the gas supply to six flats as a precaution,” he added.
Newham Council said it took its responsibilities “very seriously” and was investigating the incidents.
A spokesman said: “We have a responsibility to ensure that the supply to every property is safe and as such carry out CP12 (gas safety) checks on an annual basis to every tenanted and leasehold property.
“Following the incident, gas safety contractors working on behalf of the council have tested appliances in every individual property and are currently investigating the alleged cause of the leak.”
The woman, believed to be in her 20s, is now recovering at home.