Elito leaves it late to give Daggers victory over Rochdale
- Credit: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO
League Two: Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Rochdale 1
Medy Elito’s strike in the third minute of stoppage time saw Daggers come from behind to defeat Rochdale 2-1 at Victoria Road.
After a goalless first half Andrew Tutte fired the visitors in front after 72 minutes before captain Abu Ogogo levelled three minutes later.
Manager John Still made one change to the side which lost 2-1 at Morecambe on Tuesday with Sam Williams coming back in for Josh Scott up front.
It was a bright start for the hosts with a corner inside the opening minute which Scott Doe flicked wide.
You may also want to watch:
And after a long punt forward from a Rochdale corner Daggers broke away and Williams played in strike partner Brian Woodall but his shot was straight at goalkeeper Josh Lillis.
Woodall and Williams were linking up well for the Daggers and a header back across goal set up the former Gresley man but his acrobatic effort fell straight into the goalkeepers hands.
- 1 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 2 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 7 'Accident waiting to happen': Neighbours on 'traffic carnage' around school
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 10 Havering parks retain Green Flag awards
But there were a few nervy moments at the back for Daggers and Lewington was forced to tip behind a Bobby Grant free-kick before he was called into action again to deny the same man.
The best chances of the half fell to the hosts later in the game as a ball in from Elito on the right was missed by everyone and arrived at the feet of Woodall at the back post but he somehow blazed over from close range.
And in time added on at the end of the half Matt Saunders’ teasing delivery was flicked goalwards by Doe only to direct his effort over the bar.
A quiet start to the second period soon came alive when Ashley Grimes curled an effort wide after pouncing on a stray pass from Williams.
Grimes saw a goal disallowed on the hour for Rochdale, while up the other end Elito missed a golden opportunity when put in by Femi Ilesanmi.
Daggers found themselves a goal down with 18 minutes left when Terry Gornell’s shot was well pushed away by Lewington but Grant pulled the back to Andrew Tutte to score.
But parity was restored in this end-to-end match after 75 minutes when Gavin Hoyte’s dangerous ball into the box was headed on by Williams at near post.
Lillis managed to keep that effort out but captain Abu Ogogo was on hand to tap in from close range.
Just as the game appeared to be finishing all square, Daggers launched an attack and Williams superbly laid it on into the path of Elito after being played in by Ilesanmi.
And Elito, who signed a new two-year contract on Monday, crowned another good performance when he shot low past an onrushing Lillis to take all three points to move Daggers into 13th spot in League Two.
Daggers: Lewington, Hoyte, Wilkinson, Doe, Ilesanmi, Saunders, Howell, Ogogo, Elito, Williams, Woodall.
Unused substitutes: Seabright, Spillane, Scott, Reed, Maher, Caprice, Bingham.
Attendance: 2,289 (including 162 Rochdale fans)