Elito brace keeps Daggers survival hopes alive
League Two: Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Macclesfield Town 0
Medy Elito's double was enough to give Daggers renewed hope in their battle against League Two relegation.
Elito's third goal of the season was richly deserved, with the home side dominant in the first half.
But after the break Macclesfield were much-improved, with only the crossbar denying Matt Smith an equaliser.
In a nervy finish, Elito broke away and made sure of the points with O'Donnell beaten at his near post.
You may also want to watch:
New signing John Akinde made his second Daggers' debut in place of Brian Woodall and the home side made a purposeful start.
In the opening moments Jon Nurse, making his 200th appearance for the club, flicked the ball on to Akinde, but he scuffed a low shot through to keeper O’Donnell.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
Nurse himself headed off target soon afterwards, following a sweeping passing move from right to left.
And as Daggers continued to dominate they inevitable edged in front on 15 minutes.
Medy Elito skipped between Carl Tremarco and Colin Daniel inside the box and his goalbound shot took a huge deflection off Tony Diagne and beyond O'Donnell's reach.
With the momentum behind them the home side continued to trouble the Silkmen and Luke Howell saw an effort deflected inches wide after a long spell of possession.
Michael Spillane was close to doubling the lead shortly before the break. After exchanging passes with Akinde, the former Brentford man saw his shot pushed wide by O’Donnell at his near post.
Macclesfield were much-improved after the break and Smith forced a smart save from Chris Lewington with a close range header.
The Silkmen were looking most threatening from set-pieces as Matthew Hamshaw’s corner found its way through to Diagne at the far post and the defender’s header forced a finger-tip save from Lewington.
Nurse should have wrapped the points up on 77 minutes, but dragged hit shot wide after finding space inside the box.
There were chances for Parker and Spillane in the second half too, but Elito made sure of the points with a goal deep into stoppage time.
Dag & Red: Lewington, Spillane, Baudry, Arber, McCrory, Parker, Ogogo, Howell (Bingham 72), Elito, Nurse, Akinde (Woodall 88). Subs not used: Bond, Green, Wassmer.
Macclesfield: O'Donnell, Connolly, Brown, Diagne, Tremarco (Bakare 77), Hamshaw (Tomlinson 85), Mendy, Wedgbury (Chalmers 69), Daniel, Donnelly, Smith. Subs not used: Mukendi, Ball.
Attendance: 1,446 (140 away).