Elderly man dies in Hornchurch fire
AN ELDERLY man has died in a fire at his home.
The 86-year-old, of Devonshire Road, Hornchurch, was found in the living room by fire crews called to battle the blaze.
Firefighters from Hornchurch were called to the house at 1.48am this morning (Friday). They were met outside the property by the man’s son, who lives nearby and who told them he believed his father was inside a bedroom at the front of the house.
Watch manager Andy Smith said: “We entered and attacked the fire on the ground floor. A second crew from Dagenham came and searched the first floor.
“When we extinguished the fire on the ground floor we found the gentleman at the rear of the lounge.”
You may also want to watch:
A fire investigation officer attended the scene this morning and is establishing the cause of the fire.
Firefighters have issued safety advice following the incident, which was also attended by a crew from Romford fire station.
- 1 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 2 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 3 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 4 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 5 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 6 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 7 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 8 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
Mr Smith said: “There were no fire alarms in the property. If there had been they may have alerted the man and he might have been able to get out.”
For a free safety check and smoke alarm installation call the fire brigade on 0800 028 4428.
Did you know the elderly man? Leave your tributes below.