West End star takes centre stage in Romford
- Credit: Archant
A West End and Broadway star dropped by a Romford performing arts school on Monday to give a singing workshop to students.
Gavin Creel, currently starring in The Book of Mormon at The Prince of Wales Theatre, took time out of rehearsals to meet third year students at CPA Studios, in North Street.
He showcased his talents during the two-hour session, giving hints and tips to the enthusiastic students and also delivering one-to-one advice.
The workshop was a big hit with the drama students at the centre, which runs both full and part-time classes.
Lauren Stone, of Romford, said: “He was truly amazing! I felt so inspired and motivated with his positive attitude. I felt I made progress in the short time we had that I can carry on for the rest of my training.”
Having produced talents including James Buckley of Inbetweeners fame and Rochelle Humes and Frankie Sandford from The Saturday’s, the current crop of students, aged between 19 and 22, are hoping for similar success in their careers.
Josie Webster, of Kent, said: “He immediately made us feel comfortable and happy to take risks with our performances. He helped me to discover a completely different side to my song.
- 1 Isla Caton 'gains her angel wings' after five-year cancer battle
- 2 Mother's agony after daughter laid dead in Hornchurch flat for six weeks
- 3 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 4 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 5 WATCH: Man accelerates towards unconscious victim outside Sugar Hut
- 6 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 7 Care home to host monthly breakfast club for blue light responders
- 8 Havering SEN pupils 'fell further behind than peers' during pandemic
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Complaints about Havering’s children’s services rise year-on-year
“We all learnt so much. We couldn’t write down his words of wisdom fast enough.”
Gavin has also starred in the original Broadway cast of Thoroughly Modern Millie.
He said of his visit: “I absolutely loved it, there was such a great atmosphere when I arrived and you could tell it was a real place of inspiration and hard work.”