Two Havering youngsters celebrate after winning young artist competition
- Credit: Archant
Two youngsters have impressed with their drawing skills and won a borough-wide art competition.
Carla Costan, 13, won first place in the 11 to 14 category of Havering Young Artist of the Year 2013, while Wemin Li, 12, was awarded overall exhibition winner with his work Spirited Away Artist.
Both pupils, from The Albany School, have their work displayed at the Queen’s Theatre, in Billet Lane, Hornchurch, among other young artists until the end of the month and are due to receive their prizes during a reception with the Mayor of Havering, Cllr Eric Munday, on Saturday.
Wemin said: “I think I did a good job on this piece, but I want to continue to learn new and different skills to keep improving.”
You may also want to watch:
Carla said she would one day like to create a graphic novel. She said: “I’m hoping that the skills I have learnt will lead me into knowing if I want to do something bigger in the future or not.”
Wemin and Carla are regular attendees of art sessions before and after school and Wemin has also designed the cover of the lower school journal.
- 1 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 2 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 3 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 4 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 5 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 6 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Havering parents and children soars
- 9 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 10 Schools say lack of funding means they can't carry out mass Covid testing
Havering Youth arts officer Lucy Shadwell said: “All the entries were of an outstanding standard, each unique and well presented.”
Jo Stevens, head of art at The Albany, said: “Both students are immensely talented, but also very dedicated. They are both an absolute pleasure to teach and are picking up new skills and techniques all the time.”