Thieves targeting cash machines in Havering
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Police are urging residents to take extra care at cash machines after a spate of scams in the borough.
Criminals in Havering are distracting customers while they take out money, usually by dropping paper leaflets on the floor, before stealing their card and either withdrawing money themselves or using them in shops.
Borough commander, Jason Gwillam said: “We are very fortunate in Havering that we live in and enjoy a very safe borough. However, we want to let these few criminals know that we will not tolerate this crime that can be deeply upsetting for victims.
Any card stolen should be reported to the police and any fraudulent activity that may be used on the card to Actionfraud on 0300 123 2040.
Mr Gwillam added: “If you are withdrawing cash, cover your pin number and be aware of anyone around you. If you see any suspicious activity please give us a call on 101 and we can take care of it.”
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 3 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 4 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 5 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 6 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 7 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 8 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
- 9 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 10 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome