The Brentwood pair who’ve designed the ‘new Facebook’
The Brentwood pair who’ve desgined ‘new Facebook’
A couple of graduates have been inspired to set up a social networking site to help make a difference to university students’ lives.
FreshUni.com is designed to give students the ability to connect with friends and keep up-to-date with what’s happening in groups they are part of, such as sports teams and societies.
Creators Tom Lonergan, and Alice Godfrey, both 21, and from Brentwood, who graduated from Leicester University, came up with the idea 10 months ago after spotting a gap in the social networking market.
Tom said: “I think it offers something different from the other main social networking sites.”
You may also want to watch:
FreshUni differs from Facebook in that it “focuses on each individual’s interests” and enables them to be part of a smaller, concentrated group where interests are shared more directly.
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 3 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 4 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 7 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 8 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 9 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens charged with murder to face court
- 10 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
Tom said: “The site works by creating a niche intranet which lists the many groups associated with the respective university. It lists all of the activities and groups on the left hand side with the logo on the right, and enables group leaders and members to input the relevant information, so that news is continually updated. The whole site is customised.”
The site has developed from an idea in their heads to a functioning website in just over 10 months.
Tom said: “With the idea we began planning the site on paper, and then around six months ago, we approached several firms with the aim of creating the site.
“We found the perfect Brentwood-based company – The Design Partnership – based in Crown Street who formed a small team with us.”
Since the site went live a month ago after testing, more than 300 members have joined from universities all over the country.
FreshUni’s other features include photo uploads, live chat and group messaging.
Alice added: “Using FreshUni to its full potential gives students the power to create their own personal social network and the means to ensure they make the most out of their years in higher education.”