Teen dies in moped smash in Burland Road, Collier Row
A Collier Row teenager has tragically died after the moped he was riding was in collision with a people carrier, yesterday evening (Sunday).
The 18-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash in Burland Road, at the junction of Highfield Road, in Collier Row, at around 6.30pm.
The 56-year-old driver of the car, a Chrysler Voyager, has been arrested on suspicion of death by careless driving, and driving under the influence of alcohol, DS Mark Robson, of the road death investigation unit, said.
Neighbours helped the stricken youth while they waited for emergency services to arrive.
Police are appealing for witnesses, but are keeping an “open mind” as to the exact cause of the crash, DS Robson said.
You may also want to watch:
Investigators believe they know the identity of the boy, but will not release a name until after a post-mortem, due on Wednesday.
Anyone with information should contact the unit on: 0208 597 4874
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 5 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
- 8 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 9 Kem Cetinay’s Array restaurant to host Halloween 'ball'
- 10 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says