Teen dies in moped smash in Burland Road, Collier Row
A Collier Row teenager has tragically died after the moped he was riding was in collision with a people carrier, yesterday evening (Sunday).
The 18-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash in Burland Road, at the junction of Highfield Road, in Collier Row, at around 6.30pm.
The 56-year-old driver of the car, a Chrysler Voyager, has been arrested on suspicion of death by careless driving, and driving under the influence of alcohol, DS Mark Robson, of the road death investigation unit, said.
Neighbours helped the stricken youth while they waited for emergency services to arrive.
Police are appealing for witnesses, but are keeping an “open mind” as to the exact cause of the crash, DS Robson said.
You may also want to watch:
Investigators believe they know the identity of the boy, but will not release a name until after a post-mortem, due on Wednesday.
Anyone with information should contact the unit on: 0208 597 4874
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 3 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 4 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 5 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 6 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 7 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 8 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 9 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 10 'Unexplained' Collier Row death 'not believed to be suspicious'