Students to head to Paris after winning design competition
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from a Romford school will be going to Paris after winning a national design competition.
The team of five, aged 14 and 15, from The Royal Liberty School won the UK Aerospace Youth Rocketry Challenge after designing, constructing and successfully launching a rocket which flew 750 feet.
It had to contain a raw hen’s egg and land safely.
The Royal Liberty team were up against 19 others at the event in Farnborough, Hampshire.
Matthew Batson, Luke Chandler, Dumitru Vulpe, Chandler Benstock and Josh Compton will now represent Britain at the International Rocketry Challenge against the winning teams from America and France at the Paris Airshow in June.
The five boys have also won an expenses-paid trip to Disneyland Paris and an exclusive tour of the Airbus A380 facility in Toulouse.
Paul Everitt, chief executive of aerospace trade organisation ADS, said: “The Rocketry Challenge is a unique initiative to ignite enthusiasm for our sectors from some of the brightest young talent across the UK.
- 1 Man stabbed in head in reported Hornchurch robbery
- 2 Nude cycle ride supporting cyclists' safety and body positivity to come to Romford
- 3 'Redundant’ Hornchurch office space being eyed for new one-bedroom home
- 4 Jailed: Woman raped by two men in 'depraved' set-up
- 5 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 6 Supermarket giant Aldi confirms construction of new Romford store is ‘progressing well’
- 7 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 8 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 10 Former Upminster farmer hopes to buy back land, but is wary of price going 'up and up and up'
“It’s a tough competition but the rocket launches today have been really impressive.
“I would like to congratulate everyone that took part today and I look forward to seeing the Royal Liberty School team at the international final at the Paris Airshow.”