Special ceremony celebrates start of work on Romford free school’s permanent site
- Credit: Spencer Griffiths
A special ground breaking ceremony was held last week to celebrate the start of ground works on a new state-of-the-art purpose built school.
Concordia Academy, temporarily based at Langtons Junior Academy, Westfield Avenue, Hornchurch, held the event at the new site in Union Road, Romford.
To mark the special occasion, children from Concordia buried a special time capsule containing a letter, a school polo shirt and a copy of the Recorder.
Headteacher, Raheel Akhtar said: “The ceremony was a great opportunity to celebrate the start of ground works on the site of our fantastic new building, which we can’t wait to move into.
“We’re excited to be able to offer a brand new primary school in an area where there is a need for more places and look forward to continuing to work with local partners.
You may also want to watch:
“Thank you to everyone who has been involved in our journey so far.”
The free school opened with one class of reception children in September, and is run by REAch2 Academy Trust.
- 1 Mum-of-two's long-term home 'nightmare' amid housing crisis
- 2 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 4 Met officers used 'excessive force' during Romford fight
- 5 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 6 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 7 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 8 Woman 'repulsed and sick' after finding bug in Lidl yoghurt
- 9 Romford student receives Amazon bursary for women studying computer science
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
It aims to offer 90 reception places in subsequent years when the school moves into its permanent site in Union Road.
When all year groups are full, the school will cater for 630 children.
Former Havering mayor, Cllr Philippa Crowder said: “I was very pleased to be invited to help Concordia Academy celebrate the start of ground works on their new site and it’s been great fun to watch the children bury their time capsule.
“The local community of the Oldchurch Park Estate are excited about the prospect of having a brand new state of the art primary school within walking distance of their homes.
“Concordia will help contribute towards the additional primary school places which are currently required across Havering.”
Sir Steve Lancashire, CEO of REAch2, added: “It’s been an exciting first year for Concordia, and today marks the beginning of their journey to opening in their brand new building next September.
“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Langtons Junior Academy, Hornchurch, for all their help and dedication in supporting Concordia Academy whilst in its temporary home.”