Romford’s Royal Liberty School takes UK prize at International Rocketry Challenge at Paris Air Show
- Credit: Archant
A team of five Havering school students blasted the UK competition out of the water to claim a top prize in an international rocket-making competition.
Teams had to design, construct and successfully launch a rocket to an altitude of 750 feet containing a raw egg, which then had to return safely to earth.
The Royal Liberty School students, aged 14 and 15, met French President,
Francois Hollande, during the final showdown with youngsters from across the globe at the Paris Air Show.
Matthew Batson, Luke Chandler, Dumitru Vulper, Chandler Benstock and Josh Compton, from the Upper Brentwood Road school, were beaten by a US team at the International Rocketry Challenge on Friday of last week - but emerged as the UK winners.
You may also want to watch:
The Romford youngsters can now look forward to an all-expenses paid trip to Disneyland Paris and an exclusive tour of the Airbus A380 facility in Toulouse, France.
The international final was won by Georgetown 4-H with a height of 703 feet, and a flight time of 49 seconds.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 4 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 7 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 8 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 10 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
Graham Chisnall, deputy CEO of aerospace trade organisation, ADS group said: “The Rocketry Challenge is a unique initiative to ignite enthusiasm for our sectors from some of the brightest young talent across the UK. It’s a tough competition but the rocket launches have been really impressive and The Royal Liberty School team deserves special congratulations for its achievement in becoming the UK national winner.”