Romford pictures: Romford students return from trip to South Africa after helping to build a sustainable garden
- Credit: Archant
Students from a local school have returned from a trip to South Africa where they helped build a sustainable garden to feed 2,000 children.
The group from Bower Park Academy travelled as part of their International Football Tour to Cape Town for eight days.
During the trip the 12 pupils from Years 10 and 11 visited Manenberg High School and helped build the specialised garden, which will help feed 2,000 people. They also took classes at the school, learnt Afrikaans and even fit in some sightseeing.
Eddie Aylett, the teacher who organised the trip, said: “They thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and have memories that will last a lifetime. This educational visit was by far the best trip I have ever done allowing pupils to break down prejudices, stereotypes and stigmas attached to South Africa.
“The pupils have made life-long friends and pupils already want to start fundraising to return next year! The partnership between Bower Park Academy and Manenberg High school is truly inspirational and will continue to grow.”
You may also want to watch:
The group will share their experiences with staff and pupils over the coming weeks to work on small projects in school.
Headteacher Mary Morrison said: “I am delighted with how well the trip went. It was an experience which will be shared with the whole school. The students were a credit to Bower Park Academy, their parents and themselves.”
- 1 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 7 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Mum opens Romford juice van to offer healthy snacks and drinks for kids
- 10 Deep clean of Havering aims to get streets 'back to how they should be’