Romford fireworks show will be “bigger and better” this Guy Fawkes’ night
A controversial fireworks display - which last year unexpectedly attracted thousands of revellers - will be twice as big but better prepared this Guy Fawkes’ night, organisers promised.
Romford and Gidea Park Rugby Football Club nearly lost its events’ license after it hosted the first organised display in the borough since the 1980s.
More than 3,000 people from Havering and beyond descended on the grounds, in Crow Lane, Romford, causing a storm of criticism from neighbours, angry over resulting parking and crowds chaos.
This year the club said it had learnt from its mistakes.
“We are making 500 parking spaces available in the grounds and are arranging overflow parking in the Jutsums Lane area,” explained treasurer Bill Dowton. “We are selling advance tickets electronically, which will be scanned on entry, and we’ll have many more cash booths - four times as many as last year.”
You may also want to watch:
European fireworks technicians will be flown in to stage the show on Friday November 4, which will raise money for the club and a children’s charity.
A Kylie Minogue tribute act will perform at 7pm before the main event, followed by a DJ and live band in the clubhouse from 9.30pm.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 4 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 5 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 6 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 7 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 8 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
There will also be children’s rides and food stalls.
Doors open at 5pm, with tickets are available from: www.eventelephant.com/RomfordFireworks or from the clubhouse.
Call 01708 700521 for more details.