Romford church youth group thanks Jack Petchey award scheme for support
- Credit: Sandra O'Neil
Members of a church youth group enjoyed a free one-night-stay camping trip thanks to a foundation that supports projects for young people.
Romford Baptist Church’s youth group “Streetlight” - which meets Mondays - has been supported by the Jack Petchey Foundation for several years.
To celebrate the foundation’s 15th anniversary, it handed 150 groups a special Crystal Award grant of £1500 to enhance work with young people.
Youth Leader, Sandra O’Neal said: “Our youth group was chosen as a worthy recipient of this special award.”
The youth group regularly attracts up to 40 teenagers aged between 12 to 17, 30 of whom went on a camping trip in April.
You may also want to watch:
“We took the young people for a one night stay at Thriftwood Scout Camp Site in Brentwood,” said Sandra.
“We had a wonderful time, many trying out activities that they had never experienced before.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Brentwood's unsung heroes helping the community during the pandemic
- 7 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 8 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 9 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 10 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
“This included raft building, demolition, Cata-Splat and a 3D Maze.
“Staff enjoyed spending more time with the young people getting to know and building relationships with them.
“We all had a lot of fun but without the Jack Petchey award scheme this would just not be possible.
“This scheme enables us to do so much more with the group and it makes such a difference to those who simply would not be able to afford to go on these outings.
“We feel very blessed that we can offer free trips to the young people because of Jack Petchey and we look forward to more in the future.”
To get involved in the group visit romfordbaptist.org.uk or email email@example.com.