16-year-old student takes top prize in London-wide Electrician of the Year competition
- Credit: Lewisham College
A teenage student from New City College’s Construction & Engineering Centre in Rainham has won a London-wide Electrician of the Year competition.
16-year-old Remi Newman, who lives in Dagenham, took home the gong after going up against 10 other female trainees and tradeswomen.
Hosted by Lewisham College, the competition involved completing an industry-standard technical challenge within a time limit, with professionals on-hand to judge the results.
To top it off for Remi, not only did she win, but she was also offered an apprenticeship by the contest’s sponsors, ESG.
She said: “It’s been crazy. People and companies on social media are recognising me since I won. I feel like I have proved to myself that I am good at what I do and I am capable of doing it.
“I’m obviously in a male-dominated industry and I did think I would come up against problems, but I honestly haven’t. I would recommend every girl to just go for it.”
Head of Rainham Construction and Engineering Centre, Catherine Foley, added: “I am incredibly proud of Remi.
- 1 Supermarket giant Aldi confirms construction of new Romford store is ‘progressing well’
- 2 Apology issued after NHS nurse 'was failed by short-staffed Queen's Hospital maternity ward'
- 3 Local election 2022: HRA and Labour form new Havering administration
- 4 Former Upminster farmer hopes to buy back land, but is wary of price going 'up and up and up'
- 5 13 flats and three commercial units in new four-storey block approved for Romford town centre
- 6 Hornchurch man given three-year football banning order for Nazi salutes
- 7 Met Police reportedly 'scrutinising CCTV' in Havering electoral fraud investigation
- 8 'Transformational’: What is the Elizabeth line and what does it mean for Havering?
- 9 'He fought for life': Boxing match to help disabled five-year-old continue his passion
- 10 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
“She is a role model for other young females aspiring to get into a male-dominated industry and her hard work and dedication has proved itself.”