Rainham schoolchildren aiming to score World Cup number one
- Credit: Archant
Football-mad pupils are attempting to top the charts with a World Cup song as part of a charity project launched by an ex-teacher.
Jasper Ward, who taught at The Chafford School in Lambs Lane South, Rainham, has launched a campaign in which he will attempt to get the song England’s One to number one in the charts when it is released on June 9.
The song was released in 2006 by Greasy Spoons as a World Cup song, but now Jasper is recruiting thousands of schoolchildren to help him sing it in aid of Cancer Research UK.
The campaign started at the Rainham school last week where nearly 1000 students took part in a day of singing, dancing, flag waving and kazoo playing.
Deputy headteacher, Sandra Reeks, said: “The students were just great and it was inspiring to see them getting so enthusiastically behind a real cause.
“A really special moment was hearing the students spontaneously singing the England’s One song as they left school at the end of the day”.
Year 9 student, Henry Seagroatt said “It was just a great day. I really enjoyed the whole experience. Let’s hope we get to number one”
- 1 Property spotlight: Property prices rocket around Premier League team's training ground
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 'Crucial' consultation begins on proposed changes to Lower Thames Crossing project
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Here are five top-rated delicious 'cheap eats' in Havering, according to Tripadvisor
- 9 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 10 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
Jasper will be visiting schools up and down the country over the coming weeks and aims to raise £100,000 for Cancer Research in the process.
The song will be released on 9th June 2014, in time for the World Cup.