Neighbour puts out cigarette fire in Cranham
A woman had a lucky escape when her neighbour heard a smoke alarm going off after a blaze caused by a discarded cigarette.
Firefighters from Harold Hill and Hornchurch fire stations were called to the fire, which started in a bin in the kitchen in Avon Road, Cranham at around 4.20pm today (Wednesday January 18).
The woman was sleeping at the time, when the neighbour managed to put out the blaze and called the emergency services.
The fire is believed to have been caused by a cigarette being thrown in the bin.
The blaze caused smoke damage to a cupboard in the kitchen.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “We would like to remind people to discard their cigarettes properly.
“We cannot stress the importance of smoke alarms, as it helped to alert the neighbour to the fire.”
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 3 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 6 Memorial bench at hospital honours 'well-loved' medic
- 7 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 8 Petition launched by family of Harvey Tyrrell soars to 40,000 signatures
- 9 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 10 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears