More than a dozen teachers and five support staff could be axed from Romford school next year
- Credit: Archant
A school says plans to cut staff next year will not mean students stop receiving a “richer curriculum”.
St Edward’s Church of England School and Sixth Form College, London Road, Romford, has confirmed that it is in consultation over a proposed plan to cut 13.5 teachers and five support staff.
The plan is to complete the staff reductions by the start of the new school year in September 2017.
The school claims the number of pupils attending St Edward’s has reduced over recent years and the staff reductions are designed to bring pupil and staff levels into line.
Chair of governors, Tim Howson, said: “The proposed staff restructure has been carefully thought through in conjunction with a new curriculum plan for the school.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been designed to take advantage of staff turnover and to minimise, if not eliminate, the need to make staff redundant.
“By September, our students will be enjoying a richer curriculum and working in classes that are no larger, in some cases smaller, than they are now.”
- 1 Shopkeepers and customers celebrate as Romford high streets reopen
- 2 Bekash restaurant ranked best curry house in Havering on Tripadviser
- 3 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 4 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 5 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 6 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 7 Neighbour’s fury as mountain of rubbish piles up outside cottage
- 8 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 9 Could you be former Brentwood man's long lost relative?
- 10 Cycle relay through Romford supporting Help for Heroes
St Edward’s which was founded in 1710, is home to more than 1000 pupils.
The consultation which started four weeks ago is set to conclude on Friday.
The school’s governors have been consulting with the staff at the school and their trade unions.
Are you a parent or teacher that would be affected by the plans? Email firstname.lastname@example.org