More than a dozen teachers and five support staff could be axed from Romford school next year
- Credit: Archant
A school says plans to cut staff next year will not mean students stop receiving a “richer curriculum”.
St Edward’s Church of England School and Sixth Form College, London Road, Romford, has confirmed that it is in consultation over a proposed plan to cut 13.5 teachers and five support staff.
The plan is to complete the staff reductions by the start of the new school year in September 2017.
The school claims the number of pupils attending St Edward’s has reduced over recent years and the staff reductions are designed to bring pupil and staff levels into line.
Chair of governors, Tim Howson, said: “The proposed staff restructure has been carefully thought through in conjunction with a new curriculum plan for the school.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been designed to take advantage of staff turnover and to minimise, if not eliminate, the need to make staff redundant.
“By September, our students will be enjoying a richer curriculum and working in classes that are no larger, in some cases smaller, than they are now.”
- 1 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 2 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 3 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 4 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 5 Havering and Barking and Dagenham parents 'outraged' at poor quality free school meal replacements
- 6 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 7 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 8 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 9 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 10 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
St Edward’s which was founded in 1710, is home to more than 1000 pupils.
The consultation which started four weeks ago is set to conclude on Friday.
The school’s governors have been consulting with the staff at the school and their trade unions.
Are you a parent or teacher that would be affected by the plans? Email email@example.com