London Mayor Boris Johnson to open Havering school
London Mayor Boris Johnson will officially open the borough’s new primary schools this week.
He is visiting Havering to open Elm Park Primary – the first new school in the borough for more than 30 years.
It has top-of-the-range ICT technology and is aiming to be environmentally friendly with a sedum grass roof on part of the building. It also has a biomass boiler which runs on recycled wood pellets. There is also a ventilations system which regulates the temperature within the school so there is no need for heating or air conditioning.
Pupils were heavily involved in the design process of their new school and visited it several times during its construction.
The school has two levels with younger children on the ground floor and older pupils on the first floor.
You may also want to watch:
London Mayor Boris Johnson said: “Elm Park Primary School is an inspiration to all of us and what a fantastic place to teach and learn.
“It will be a privilege to meet the children benefitting from this thoroughly modern school and officially open it for them.”
- 1 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 4 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 5 Rainham flat ravaged by late night blaze
- 6 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 7 Campaigners ‘overjoyed’ and developer to 'consider its next steps' following Gallows Corner Tesco refusal
- 8 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 9 Covid-19: How has Havering fared over the last four weeks?
- 10 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
He said he was aware more had to be done in London to improve the opportunities for young people and to help those who are unable to properly read and write.
He added: “That is why we must continue to challenge all our schools to improve and become truly world class and I am delighted to see Elm Park doing just that.”
Cllr Michael White, leader of Havering Council, said: “We are very proud of what we have achieved here. This summer we completed two new primary schools in the borough, Elm Park and also Hylands Primary School.
“I am delighted that the Mayor of London will be able to open this fantastic new school for us.”
Elm Park Primary School headteacher Vicki Knox said: “We are so proud of our new school building and are delighted that the London Mayor will be visiting us to officially open it.”