London Mayor Boris Johnson to open Havering school
London Mayor Boris Johnson will officially open the borough’s new primary schools this week.
He is visiting Havering to open Elm Park Primary – the first new school in the borough for more than 30 years.
It has top-of-the-range ICT technology and is aiming to be environmentally friendly with a sedum grass roof on part of the building. It also has a biomass boiler which runs on recycled wood pellets. There is also a ventilations system which regulates the temperature within the school so there is no need for heating or air conditioning.
Pupils were heavily involved in the design process of their new school and visited it several times during its construction.
The school has two levels with younger children on the ground floor and older pupils on the first floor.
London Mayor Boris Johnson said: “Elm Park Primary School is an inspiration to all of us and what a fantastic place to teach and learn.
“It will be a privilege to meet the children benefitting from this thoroughly modern school and officially open it for them.”
- 1 Hornchurch ranked top place in UK for takeaway fish and chips, study finds
- 2 Several hectares of Rainham grassland destroyed in fire
- 3 Road closures in place after Romford flat fire
- 4 Man threatened and robbed of iPhone and bank card at Romford station
- 5 Appeal to find missing girl, 16, with links to Romford
- 6 'What about vulnerable people?’: Couple protest parking ticket from Gallows Corner Tesco after alleged ‘double dipping’ issue
- 7 Launch events held for businesses targeted at the ‘more mature raver’
- 8 Harold Hill landlord accused of housing tenants in unsafe property
- 9 Buckman backs Clarke to make mark with Romford Junior Raiders
- 10 London among areas where drought is declared
He said he was aware more had to be done in London to improve the opportunities for young people and to help those who are unable to properly read and write.
He added: “That is why we must continue to challenge all our schools to improve and become truly world class and I am delighted to see Elm Park doing just that.”
Cllr Michael White, leader of Havering Council, said: “We are very proud of what we have achieved here. This summer we completed two new primary schools in the borough, Elm Park and also Hylands Primary School.
“I am delighted that the Mayor of London will be able to open this fantastic new school for us.”
Elm Park Primary School headteacher Vicki Knox said: “We are so proud of our new school building and are delighted that the London Mayor will be visiting us to officially open it.”