Sky's the limit for Hornchurch student who came 3rd in world's largest youth public speaking competition
- Credit: Hornchurch High School
The future is bright for one of Hornchurch High's finest after she came third in the Jack Petchey’s Speak Out Challenge.
Year 11 Michaylia Stephenson beat off almost 20,000 entries with a poignant speech entitled A Hairy Situation.
She went on quite a journey, progressing through regional rounds to make the grand event (broadcast live on YouTube this month).
In her speech, Michaylia said: "No one asked me many questions, but I know how it made me feel. The wig was the only thing that gave me confidence, but yet it wasn't real."
After her success - for which a cash prize is the tip of the iceberg - Michaylia's message was simple: "Think about what you value most in life."
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Lara Holmes said the school is "incredibly proud" of Michaylia, crediting her for "capturing the hearts of the judges".
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 3 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 4 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 7 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 8 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 9 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson included in Little Mix display at Madame Tussauds