Sky's the limit for Hornchurch student who came 3rd in world's largest youth public speaking competition
- Credit: Hornchurch High School
The future is bright for one of Hornchurch High's finest after she came third in the Jack Petchey’s Speak Out Challenge.
Year 11 Michaylia Stephenson beat off almost 20,000 entries with a poignant speech entitled A Hairy Situation.
She went on quite a journey, progressing through regional rounds to make the grand event (broadcast live on YouTube this month).
In her speech, Michaylia said: "No one asked me many questions, but I know how it made me feel. The wig was the only thing that gave me confidence, but yet it wasn't real."
After her success - for which a cash prize is the tip of the iceberg - Michaylia's message was simple: "Think about what you value most in life."
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Lara Holmes said the school is "incredibly proud" of Michaylia, crediting her for "capturing the hearts of the judges".
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 4 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 5 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 6 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 7 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 8 Neighbour’s fury as mountain of rubbish piles up outside cottage
- 9 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 10 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens