Sky's the limit for Hornchurch student who came 3rd in world's largest youth public speaking competition
- Credit: Hornchurch High School
The future is bright for one of Hornchurch High's finest after she came third in the Jack Petchey’s Speak Out Challenge.
Year 11 Michaylia Stephenson beat off almost 20,000 entries with a poignant speech entitled A Hairy Situation.
She went on quite a journey, progressing through regional rounds to make the grand event (broadcast live on YouTube this month).
In her speech, Michaylia said: "No one asked me many questions, but I know how it made me feel. The wig was the only thing that gave me confidence, but yet it wasn't real."
After her success - for which a cash prize is the tip of the iceberg - Michaylia's message was simple: "Think about what you value most in life."
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Lara Holmes said the school is "incredibly proud" of Michaylia, crediting her for "capturing the hearts of the judges".
- 1 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 2 Letters: Breaking bad news, boundary changes, lockdown and parking
- 3 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 4 Romford cancer patient describes impact of Covid pandemic on mental health
- 5 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 6 Havering Council looking for residents to become Covid marshals
- 7 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 8 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week