Sky's the limit for Hornchurch student who came 3rd in world's largest youth public speaking competition
- Credit: Hornchurch High School
The future is bright for one of Hornchurch High's finest after she came third in the Jack Petchey’s Speak Out Challenge.
Year 11 Michaylia Stephenson beat off almost 20,000 entries with a poignant speech entitled A Hairy Situation.
She went on quite a journey, progressing through regional rounds to make the grand event (broadcast live on YouTube this month).
In her speech, Michaylia said: "No one asked me many questions, but I know how it made me feel. The wig was the only thing that gave me confidence, but yet it wasn't real."
After her success - for which a cash prize is the tip of the iceberg - Michaylia's message was simple: "Think about what you value most in life."
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Lara Holmes said the school is "incredibly proud" of Michaylia, crediting her for "capturing the hearts of the judges".
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 5 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 6 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
- 7 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 8 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 9 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 10 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says