Hornchurch High School bids a fond farewell to old name The Albany
- Credit: Archant
Staff, students and ward councillors gathered at a Hornchurch secondary school to celebrate the beginning of not just a new school year, but a new name as well.
Hornchurch High School, formerly known as The Albany School in Broadstone Road, has a new crest - as well as a new building potentially on the way - and on Friday, September 7, Hylands Councillors Ciaran White and Christine Smith joined the school community in celebrating the new institution.
Headteacher Val Masson, who oversaw the selection of the new name, told the Recorder: “This is a really positive step for the entire school community, and it’s important everyone understands this is not just change for change’s sake.
“The new name is the latest step in signalling a culture change at our school, and it’s something that we can build upon going forward.”
The school recently celebrated a successful year of GCSE results, and Ms Masson believes this has given the entire name changing process a big lift.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Personally, I am phenomenally excited to get going as Hornchurch High School, with everything that’s been going on I think it’s really going to benefit the school.”
Hornchurch High School students were joined on the day by pupils from the nearby Harrow Lodge Primary School, and both primary and secondary school children released balloons as a ribbon was cut to mark the big occasion.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 5 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 6 Cladding scandal: Homeowners ‘stuck’ as service charges rise
- 7 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 8 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 9 Detectives appeal for witnesses to Upminster crash involving 'stolen' van
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Cllr White said: “It’s been fantastic to come here today and see the school and how much these young children are enjoying their time here.
“Good luck to all of them going forward, and to the entire school as it gets used to it’s new name.”