Havering super-charity’s bid to set up shop for Christmas
�A charity supergroup is urging shopping centre bosses to donate an empty unit to raise Christmas cheer and cash.
The 2011 Christmas Nativitiy Project – which includes churches, youth groups, schools and choirs – have pooled resources in the hope of staging a fundraising fortnight in Romford.
Organiser Helen Yousaf has already written to The Brewery and Liberty centres asking for help after Havering Council said it had no free premises.
She said: “We are a group who like to promote the singing of carols and the traditional Nativity whilst raising money for charity.
“We usually hold charity concerts and events leading up to Christmas but this year we would love to have a central base in Romford where people can bring their families to get a taste of the Nativity.”
You may also want to watch:
Helen said The Brewery had already shown some interest in helping.
The shop will be transformed into the Bethlehem stable where baby Jesus was born and there will be characters from the nativity during shop opening hours.
- 1 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 4 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 7 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 8 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 9 Gidea Park school to celebrate 100th birthday
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
Different community groups, from various cultural backgrounds, will come and sing Christmas carols from around the world.
Donations will go to the mayor’s charities; St Francis Hospice and Haven House Children’s Hospice.
The group hopes to stage the event between December 10 and 24.
Those already involved include Francis Bardsley Secondary School, Manor Park, All Nations Church, St Edward’s Primary School, St Edward’s Community Choir, St Edward’s Secondary School, Star Point Radio Station, The Romford Elim Pentecostal Church, FGT Youth Group, Powerkids youth group, Salvation Army Romford and YMCA Romford.
If anyone wants to join call Helen on 01708 767029