Havering Sixth Form College students clock up five Oxbridge offers
- Credit: Archant
Five high-achieving Havering Sixth Form College students have received offers to study at Cambridge or Oxford universities.
This equals the college’s highest-ever number of offers from the UK’s most prestigious universities.
Principal Paul Wakeling said: “These students have done exceptionally well. With such fierce competition for places, it’s a wonderful personal achievement for them and greatly deserved.”
The students, Matthew Greenhill, Lee Robertson, Michael Warman, Gage Kumar Rull and a female student who did not wish to be named, were chosen from thousands of applicants.
Matthew, 17, from Hornchurch, has been offered a place at Cambridge to study human, social and political sciences. The former Hall Mead School pupil said: “We were given excellent advice and support by the college’s gifted and talented co-ordinators, Jim O’Connell-Lauder and Stephen Prest, who prepared us for the tough interviews.”
You may also want to watch:
Former Brittons School pupil Michael Warman, 18, who has been offered a place at Cambridge to read law, said: “I applied to Cambridge because I had nothing to lose. I’m so glad I did.”
Lee Robertson, 18, who attended Emerson Park School and lives in Romford, has been offered a place at Cambridge to read human, social and political sciences.
- 1 Hundreds of shoppers queue outside Primark in Romford as restrictions ease
- 2 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
- 3 Heritage: Mystery of the moated mound on Romford Hill
- 4 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 5 Plans submitted for Rainham Lidl
- 6 Romford mum's success setting up children's clothing business amid pandemic
- 7 Four weeks' free parking for Havering shoppers as high streets reopen
- 8 Covid-19: What's opening and what can you do on April 12?
- 9 Police unit for 'high-harm' crimes tackles hike in domestic incidents
- 10 New Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre set to open
“It hasn’t really sunk in yet,” he said, “but now I’ve got to work really hard to get the grades I need. I’ll be sad to leave Havering Sixth Form. I’ve had such a good time here.”
Gage Kumar Rull, 18, has been offered a place to study classics at Oxford.
He said: “Staff at the college couldn’t have done any more to help. I have found college a lot more fun and lively than I’d imagined.”
The fifth student has been offered a place at Oxford to study Egyptology.