Full class of Havering students make history with university offers
- Credit: Julia Borland
Medics programme students at a sixth-form in Havering have all received a university offer to study medicine, dentistry or veterinary science.
The students, from New City College’s Havering Sixth Form campus in Hornchurch, have made history within the sixth-form, becoming the first-ever group to all secure such a place at university.
This is no easy feat as the “prestigious courses and medical schools are notoriously difficult to get into”, New City College said.
Group principal and chief executive of New City College, Gerry McDonald, said: “It is a real tribute to the hard work of the students and their teachers.”
Along with seven current students, three of the 10 students left college last year to take a gap year, but have been offered places for September 2021 entry.
This includes student Angelica Thompson’s place at the Royal Veterinary College, Ella Berner’s dentistry offer at King’s College London, and for Darcia Khaled a dentistry course at Cardiff University.
Medical student offers include Dovydas Mackevius and Nicholas Johnson at the University of East Anglia, alongside Alexandra Catana at that university for a gateway course; Aliya Auguste’s at the University of Birmingham; Charlene Kazibwe’s at King’s College London for an extended course; Sumaiya Begum’s at the University of Leicester, and Nicky Ahadi’s place at the University of Exeter.
- 1 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel
- 2 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 3 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 4 Fire crews free trapped driver after Hornchurch car crash
- 5 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged or rejected in Havering
- 7 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 Woman 'slapped across face' in Brentwood restaurant
- 10 Two Havering councillors to stand down at next election