Guiding the way: Upminster woman gets top award
Be prepared to be wowed by the achievements of two women who took the UK’s top guiding accolade at the House of Lords.
Louise Perkins, 25, from Upminster, and Ruth Pattison, 24, from Shenfield, were presented with the coveted Queen’s Guide Award last Thursday (December 1).
The award sees participants take the lead in developing a personal skill, working within a community action project, and overseeing ambitious outdoor pursuits.
Louise, a leader with 6th Hornchurch Brownies and teacher at Whybridge Junior School, in Blacksmiths Lane, Rainham, has learnt sign language and fundraised for a local children’s hospice.
She said: ‘Leaning sign language was both interesting and challenging. Having parents of Brownies in my pack who are deaf makes this an extremely useful skill and the parents were extremely pleased to be able to communicate in their first language.’
You may also want to watch:
Shenfield District leader Ruth has also learned sign language and volunteers for hearing dogs for the deaf.
The psychological wellbeing practitioner said: “Working with a range of ages in guiding has allowed me to develop my skill set and enhance my CV.”
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 3 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 4 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 5 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 6 Brentwood's unsung heroes helping the community during the pandemic
- 7 Array of activities to be held at Weald Park Country Show 2021
- 8 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 9 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 10 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
The Queen’s Guide Award is the most prestigious guiding award open to members between the ages of 16 and 25.
Baroness Royall, who presented the awards, said: “As a Queen’s Guide myself I know what valuable experiences these young women will have had the opportunity to benefit from on their way to achieving this.”