Gallery: Havering schools celebrate World Book Day.
- Credit: Archant
Pupils dress up as their favourite characters to encourage reading.
The children of Harold Court Primary School, in Church Road, Harold Wood arrived at school in full costume.
Harry Potter, Batman and Oompa Loompas listened intently as teachers read out their favourite stories.
The award for best costume was given to 11-year-old George Philpotts, from Harold Park, who dressed as Jack, from David Walliams’ debut children’s novel A boy in a dress.
At Drapers’ Brookside Junior School, in Dagnam Park Drive, Harold Hill, pupils also dressed up.
They read their favourite books with the help of teachers, who dressed as Cruella de Vil and other characters.
- 1 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel
- 2 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 3 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 4 Fire crews free trapped driver after Hornchurch car crash
- 5 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged or rejected in Havering
- 7 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 Woman 'slapped across face' in Brentwood restaurant
- 10 Two Havering councillors to stand down at next election