European students visit Romford school
- Credit: Archant
About 50 students from across Europe visited a school as part of an international education programme this week.
Bower Park Academy, in Havering Road, Romford, hosted the guests for six days as part of the Comenius project, which aims to develop knowledge and understanding of European values and the diversity of its cultures.
Students from Romania, Turkey, Sweden, Italy and Poland visited Bower Park this week – the only British School in the project – as they have previously hosted the Romford students on visits.
They were greeted with a welcome ceremony and special assembly at the school on Monday before a week of lessons, project work and cultural excursions began.
One such trip was to Recorder HQ where the staff and students met our editor, Chris Carter, and received a presentation on the paper and a tour of the news- room.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Carter said: “It was a pleasure to welcome the European students to the Recorder offices and give them an insight into our industry.
“We are always happy to help our schools and we hope the students enjoyed their time with us.”
- 1 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 2 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 3 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 4 Christmas Day babies to spend their first few weeks in lockdown
- 5 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 6 DAB radios donated to Queen's Hospital for those too weak to hold a phone
- 7 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
- 8 BHRUT thanks families of NHS workers who are keeping service afloat
- 9 Romford MP hails charity's 'extraordinary' work during Covid pandemic
- 10 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
Other excursions during the Comenius project included a day in central London spent at the museums in South Kensington, lunch in Hyde Park, a visit to Selfridges and an afternoon shopping in Westfield Stratford City.
Eddie Aylett, the asssistant headteacher at Bower Park Academy, said: “Watching the students from across Europe, make lifelong friendships and memories is a highlight. We live in a multicultural Britain, and to hold such an event at Bower Park, that enables all pupils to grow, develop and learn from, is incredible.”
The visitors returned to their home countries yesterday having had the trip of a lifetime to London.