Charlie and the Chocolate Factory comes to Hornchurch
- Credit: Archant
Roald Dahl’s tale came to life as Oompa Loompas and Willy Wonka took over a school last week.
Hacton Primary School, in Chepstow Avenue, Hornchurch, hosted a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed fun day with games, bouncy castles, splat the teacher, guess the blueberries in the jar and a challenge to find the Golden Ticket.
Hacton School Parents’ Association organised the fun day and raised £2,059 for activities or repairs for the school.
Organiser Chas Verma said: “The event was fantastic and the weather was definitely on our side. We had good feedback and the children loved it.
“We had the theme Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because the musical has just come out and we had teachers dressed as Oompa Loompas, games and chocolates and swirly lollipops. We even had a really good raffle with 37 donations from shops in Hornchurch.”
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Nigel Emes said: “It was an exceptional day and the weather really helped. It was thoroughly enjoyed by the pupils, parents and the staff. Ten of us even got in the stocks and got soaked.”
Games included guess the blueberry, to mark Violet Beauregarde who went blue in the story after eating a blueberry pie gum; badnut skittles to mark the squirrels judging Veruca Salt as a bad nut in the chocolate factory; and grab the golden ticket. They were also visited by actor Steve Rudford, from Mini Man, who was dressed as an Oompa Loompa. Children also had fun on a land train and had a chance to splat their teachers.
- 1 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 7 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 8 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 9 Mum opens Romford juice van to offer healthy snacks and drinks for kids
- 10 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'