Campaign to save fund for work experience in Havering
Schools that provide work placements are facing footing the bill for costs after a government grant was axed.
The grant, which stopped on April 1, helped support placements by paying a subsidy.
They previously paid �27 of the �57.40 bill per child, which goes towards health and safety and CRB checks in the workplace.
Now each school will face paying the full cost.
Bernie Williams, headteacher at Sacred Heart of Mary Girls’ School, said: “I believe this situation to be totally unfair to schools that happen to fall in the schedule after April for work experience.
You may also want to watch:
“We did not budget for this and are not at all clear where this money will be found.”
Although schools are committing to providing placements for the current academic year, it is not yet decided whether they will have to cut back next year.
- 1 Concern as drop kerb charges surge by 40%
- 2 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 3 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 4 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 5 Romford has one of UK's best retail recoveries, footfall data suggests
- 6 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 7 Romford add to management team as Boro win 11-goal Waltham Abbey friendly
- 8 Mum's anger amid mice infestation: 'Housing association fobbed it off'
- 9 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
- 10 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
The Business and Education Partnership (BEP Group), which organises the placements on the behalf of 17 schools in the borough, has set up a Facebook page in support of funding for work experience placements.
Kelly Sims, chief executive of the BEP Group, said if there was enough public support they would consider launching a petition to the government.
He said: “We had been planning for this possibility and we are happy to say that we are continuing with the majority of our schools to deliver a work experience service across Havering and Redbridge.
“If you feel, as we do, that the government has made a significant mistake in withdrawing funding for work experience and for undervaluing its importance to young people, schools and employers please go to our Facebook page.”
-It can be found at www.facebook.com/savewex