Brentwood: School shuts its doors after 75 years of tuition
�Sawyers Hall College has closed its doors for the last time after 75 years of education.
The school closed at the end of term and will be replaced on part of its site by the new Church of England school Becket Keys, which is expected to take 150 pupils in September.
The school marked its official last full day for students on June 1. This was before many had study leave, started preparations for exams, and finished coursework and Year Nine pupils started their transition to start life at Shenfield High School in September.
Head teacher Stephen Capper said years 11 and 13 had separate final assemblies before getting together for a final assembly organised and led by the Student Council.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I did urge the students not to ever forget what they had learned at Sawyers Hall and in particular the value and importance of considering others before yourself.”
The school’s website will remain open for people to keep in touch with a link to the council for any official enquiries.
- 1 Plans submitted for Rainham Lidl
- 2 Four weeks' free parking for Havering shoppers as high streets reopen
- 3 Romford mum's success setting up children's clothing business amid pandemic
- 4 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 5 Consultation begins on plans for multi-million pound health centre
- 6 Havering pays tribute to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 7 Fundraiser launched for £1,500 to buy Elm Park defibrillator
- 8 New Harrow Lodge Leisure Centre set to open
- 9 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 10 Rainham school 'taking effective action' to improve after inadequate rating
Mr Capper said most staff have secured employment in new schools. He added: “I cannot praise the staff here highly enough for the dedication and commitment they have shown to the college and most particularly to the students.”
Sawyers Hall marked its closure with an exhibition in May looking at its history. It showed the changes in Brentwood and at the school since it opened in the 1930s.
Staff will return for exam results days on August 16 and 23 to speak to students and parents. The governing body will officially close the school at the end of this month.