Brentwood: School shuts its doors after 75 years of tuition
�Sawyers Hall College has closed its doors for the last time after 75 years of education.
The school closed at the end of term and will be replaced on part of its site by the new Church of England school Becket Keys, which is expected to take 150 pupils in September.
The school marked its official last full day for students on June 1. This was before many had study leave, started preparations for exams, and finished coursework and Year Nine pupils started their transition to start life at Shenfield High School in September.
Head teacher Stephen Capper said years 11 and 13 had separate final assemblies before getting together for a final assembly organised and led by the Student Council.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I did urge the students not to ever forget what they had learned at Sawyers Hall and in particular the value and importance of considering others before yourself.”
The school’s website will remain open for people to keep in touch with a link to the council for any official enquiries.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 3 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 4 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 5 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 6 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Christmas Day babies to spend their first few weeks in lockdown
Mr Capper said most staff have secured employment in new schools. He added: “I cannot praise the staff here highly enough for the dedication and commitment they have shown to the college and most particularly to the students.”
Sawyers Hall marked its closure with an exhibition in May looking at its history. It showed the changes in Brentwood and at the school since it opened in the 1930s.
Staff will return for exam results days on August 16 and 23 to speak to students and parents. The governing body will officially close the school at the end of this month.