Romford pupils, 13, qualify for next stage of national maths competition
- Credit: Bower Park Academy
Three Romford pupils have qualified for the next round of a “challenging” national mathematics competition.
The Bower Park Academy pupils gained gold awards in the UK Mathematics Trust (UKMT) Junior Mathematical Challenge, qualifying them for the Junior Kangaroo this month.
The 60-minute test, designed for students in Year 8 and below, encourages mathematical reasoning and precision of thought.
One of the gold winners, Darius Bologa, told this paper: “Last year I didn’t have much preparation but this year I began to revise and analyse the past papers.
“This proved to work as I had learnt quicker methods to solve the questions."
You may also want to watch:
Fellow winner Jaycie-Marie Carter, who would like to go into accounting, added: “I found the maths challenge much harder than normal maths tests, however it was nice to have a try at much harder, and I was pleasantly surprised to get this far in it.”
Classmate Millie Edgson said: “When I got gold, I was surprised and proud of myself.”
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 6 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 7 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 10 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
As well as the three gold awards, 15 Bower Park Academy pupils received silver and 13 gained bronze.
Maths teacher and lead practitioner, Pat Nadesan, said: “A huge well done to all those who took part, in particular to those who received awards.”