At least 25 schools in Havering to be affected by teacher strike
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
At least 25 schools across the borough will be affected by the teacher strike tomorrow.
As it stands, four will be closed completely, while 21 will be partially open (full list below).
The national walk-out comes as part of a campaign by the National Union of Teachers (NUT) against controversial intiatives Michael Gove, secretary of state for education, will introduce, including performance related pay in September.
Havering NUT secretary, Ray Waxler, said: “Morale is at dangerously low levels and children need teachers who are fresh and well motivated, not tired and demoralised. Polls show that Michael Gove is out of touch with teachers and parents – this strike is his fault.”
A list of schools affected will be updated on the council website: havering.gov.uk/Pages/Services/School-closures.aspx.
You may also want to watch:
Schools are open unless stated below:
- 1 Concern as drop kerb charges surge by 40%
- 2 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 3 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 4 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 5 Romford has one of UK's best retail recoveries, footfall data suggests
- 6 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 7 Romford add to management team as Boro win 11-goal Waltham Abbey friendly
- 8 Mum's anger amid mice infestation: 'Housing association fobbed it off'
- 9 Brookside Theatre to reopen with Peter Rabbit musical and Hairspray
- 10 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
Langtons Infant School = Partially open
Parklands Infant School = Partially open
Upminster Infant School = Partially open
Ardleigh Green Junior School = Partially open
Parklands Junior School = Partially open
Rise Park Junior School = Partially open
Scargill Junior School = Partially open
St Ursula’s Catholic Junior School = Partially open
Towers Junior School = Partially open
Upminster Junior School = Partially open
Whybridge Junior School = Closed
Crowlands Primary School = Partially open
Engayne Primary School = Partially open
Gidea Park Primary School = Closed
Harold Wood Primary School = Partially open
Hylands Primary School = Partially open
Nelmes Primary School = Partially open
Newtons Primary School = Partially open
Rainham Village Primary School = Closed
St Edward’s Church of England VA Primary School = Partially open
Suttons Primary School = Closed
The James Oglethorpe Primary School = Partially open
The R J Mitchell Primary School = Closed
Gaynes School = Partially open
Marshalls Park School and Performing Arts College = Partially open
For more on the strike, click the links on the right.