At least 25 schools in Havering to be affected by teacher strike
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
At least 25 schools across the borough will be affected by the teacher strike tomorrow.
As it stands, four will be closed completely, while 21 will be partially open (full list below).
The national walk-out comes as part of a campaign by the National Union of Teachers (NUT) against controversial intiatives Michael Gove, secretary of state for education, will introduce, including performance related pay in September.
Havering NUT secretary, Ray Waxler, said: “Morale is at dangerously low levels and children need teachers who are fresh and well motivated, not tired and demoralised. Polls show that Michael Gove is out of touch with teachers and parents – this strike is his fault.”
A list of schools affected will be updated on the council website: havering.gov.uk/Pages/Services/School-closures.aspx.
You may also want to watch:
Schools are open unless stated below:
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 3 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 4 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 5 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 6 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 7 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 8 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
Langtons Infant School = Partially open
Parklands Infant School = Partially open
Upminster Infant School = Partially open
Ardleigh Green Junior School = Partially open
Parklands Junior School = Partially open
Rise Park Junior School = Partially open
Scargill Junior School = Partially open
St Ursula’s Catholic Junior School = Partially open
Towers Junior School = Partially open
Upminster Junior School = Partially open
Whybridge Junior School = Closed
Crowlands Primary School = Partially open
Engayne Primary School = Partially open
Gidea Park Primary School = Closed
Harold Wood Primary School = Partially open
Hylands Primary School = Partially open
Nelmes Primary School = Partially open
Newtons Primary School = Partially open
Rainham Village Primary School = Closed
St Edward’s Church of England VA Primary School = Partially open
Suttons Primary School = Closed
The James Oglethorpe Primary School = Partially open
The R J Mitchell Primary School = Closed
Gaynes School = Partially open
Marshalls Park School and Performing Arts College = Partially open
For more on the strike, click the links on the right.