An Upminster netball team competes in European competition
- Credit: Archant
A school netball team represented the borough in Europe’s largest annual youth sports event last Tuesday.
The team from Oakfields Montessori School fought off tough competition from the other London boroughs and were delighted to win bronze medals in the 2013 London Youth Games at Crystal Palace last month.
They remained unbeaten in the High 5 netball event until the semi-finals where they lost 2-1 to Harringey, who went on to win gold medals.
Team manager and deputy headteacher Laura Ciftci said: “I am immensely proud of the team’s performance. Both the organisers and other boroughs commented on the delightful dispositions and sportsmanship of Oakfields pupils.”
The popular event is made up of mixed teams which must include two boys at all times. Each player also rotates positions on the court allowing for a more adaptable team so everyone can experience different positions on the court.
Mrs Ciftci also pointed out the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games were an influential factor to the team’s performance.
She said: “You can teach them the basics and teach them the skills, but when you see young adults play they become role models and ambassadors to the children.”
- 1 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel
- 2 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 3 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 4 Fire crews free trapped driver after Hornchurch car crash
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged or rejected in Havering
- 6 Woman 'slapped across face' in Brentwood restaurant
- 7 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 10 Company dismisses 'unscrupulous individuals' reportedly caught flytipping in Rainham