Duo make point
Urchins, Boro hit back
Hornchurch and Romford both battled back for a point in their respective Ryman League outings at the weekend.
After falling behind against Premier Division rivals Billericay in only the second minute, as Walid Matata beat Bobby Smith from long range, Urchins levelled 13 minutes from time when Tommy Black slotted home, after Martin Tuohy’s shot was blocked.
Jimmy McFarlane’s men might have snatched all three points late on, but Dave McSweeney saw his injury-time effort hit a post.
Boro returned to action after a two-week break at Waltham Forest and found themselves behind at the interval, after Ade Cole struck for the hosts.
You may also want to watch:
But their persistence paid off in the 71st minute when Joe Pearman and Andy Edmunds combined for Manzi Mbala to fire home on his return to first-team action after a badly broken ankle.
Urchins travel to Division One North side East Thurrock for a league cup tie tomorrow night (Tuesday, 7.45pm), while Boro host Tilbury at Mill Field on Wednesday.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 4 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 5 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 6 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 7 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 8 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 9 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years