Duane earns Hornchurch a draw
Jackman on target on Urchins return
Duane Jackman scored an important equaliser against second-placed Bury to secure a vital point in Hornchurch’s Ryman Premier promotion campaign.
Both sides seemed tense in the first half, neither wanting to risk conceding by over-committing, with the best chance falling to Bury’s right wing Kieran Leabon.
Right-back Russell Short’s deep cross was headed across goal by James Scowcroft where it fell kindly for Leabon, but he was unable to get his foot over the ball and it flew over the bar.
The second half was much more entertaining as both sides pushed for the win, but it was the visitors who got the breakthrough thanks to a superb 30-yard free kick from Sam Reed with an hour gone.
You may also want to watch:
Urchins fought back, though, and were rewarded with their equaliser 10 minutes later.
Tommy Black’s mazy run lead him to the edge of the area and his pass found Dave Collis, but a bobble took all the pace out of his shot.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 3 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 4 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 5 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 6 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 7 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
- 8 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 9 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 10 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
Jackman showed great pace, and athleticism, to reach the ball as it looped towards goal and out-jumped keeper Marcus Garnham to nod home.
Both sides had chances to win the game in the dying minutes but a draw was a fair result.
Hornchurch finished the tie with ten men after substitute Black was dismissed for overzealous remonstrations with the referee after his penalty claims were waved away.