Duane earns Hornchurch a draw
Jackman on target on Urchins return
Duane Jackman scored an important equaliser against second-placed Bury to secure a vital point in Hornchurch’s Ryman Premier promotion campaign.
Both sides seemed tense in the first half, neither wanting to risk conceding by over-committing, with the best chance falling to Bury’s right wing Kieran Leabon.
Right-back Russell Short’s deep cross was headed across goal by James Scowcroft where it fell kindly for Leabon, but he was unable to get his foot over the ball and it flew over the bar.
The second half was much more entertaining as both sides pushed for the win, but it was the visitors who got the breakthrough thanks to a superb 30-yard free kick from Sam Reed with an hour gone.
You may also want to watch:
Urchins fought back, though, and were rewarded with their equaliser 10 minutes later.
Tommy Black’s mazy run lead him to the edge of the area and his pass found Dave Collis, but a bobble took all the pace out of his shot.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 5 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 6 Memorial bench at hospital honours 'well-loved' medic
- 7 Petition launched by family of Harvey Tyrrell soars to 40,000 signatures
- 8 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 9 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 10 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
Jackman showed great pace, and athleticism, to reach the ball as it looped towards goal and out-jumped keeper Marcus Garnham to nod home.
Both sides had chances to win the game in the dying minutes but a draw was a fair result.
Hornchurch finished the tie with ten men after substitute Black was dismissed for overzealous remonstrations with the referee after his penalty claims were waved away.