Drunken man throws brick at Upminster Indian restaurant and assaults police officer

PUBLISHED: 17:00 13 March 2017 | UPDATED: 17:53 13 March 2017

Barkingside Magistrates Court

Barkingside Magistrates Court


A 47-year-old man went on a “crime spree” after causing racial aggravation, assaulting a police officer and throwing a brick through the window of a busy Indian restaurant, a court heard.

Mark Croxson, of Portnois Close, Romford, went to leave without paying at Kalijeera Indian Cuisine, Corbets Tey Road, Upminster, on March 2 before being stopped by a member of staff who he racially abused, pushed and threatened to “smash” his face in, Barkingside Magistrates’ Court heard today.

He was also abusive to other members of staff and customers in the restaurant and threw a glass which shattered near some of the other diners.

When Croxson stepped outside, he grabbed two bricks and threw one at the restaurant’s window and another at a member of the public, hitting them on the shoulder.

Police were called after 7pm. They took him to hospital for treatment for drunkenness where he assaulted Pc Joanne McCarthy, kicking her in the leg and pinching her hand.

In October last year, Croxson pleaded guilty to similar charges after leaving a different Indian restaurant in Upminster and assaulting a police officer after threatening to burn the establishment down.

Less than a month later, Croxson visited the Akash Indian restaurant in High Street, Hornchurch, where he again attempted to leave without paying.

Staff tried to detain him but he became aggressive and started “lashing out” and “throwing a lot of cutlery on the floor”, the court was told.

Croxson pleaded guilty to all offences related to March 2 and said that he was “disgusted” by his actions.

He also pleaded guilty to another offence which took place on a 370 bus in Mercury Gardens, Romford, on February 24.

After the bus terminated and the driver asked Croxson, who was asleep, to get off, he refused to move and the police were called.

He was restrained by officers on the bus as he shouted abuse before being moved onto the pavement where he continued to call the bus driver a “slag”. He later apologised to police for his behaviour, the court heard.

Deputy district judge Warner described his behaviour as “disgraceful” and his actions on March 2 as “reckless”.

His defence lawyer said: “He is mortified.

“He has shown great remorse and hopes he can get his drinking under control.”

Croxson was jailed for six months, which he will serve after completing his 14-week suspended sentence for assaulting a police officer last year.

Croxson will have to pay £95 in compensation to restaurant staff, £115 surcharge and £75 compensation to the bus driver.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder