Drink: Put on a sparkling performance for your loved one
- Credit: PA
To tap into our thirst for one of France’s greatest exports, here are some brilliant bubbles to charm a loved one.
Canard-Duchene Authentic Green, £28, Oddbins
Exceptionally fresh with aromas of citrus and honey, a delicate fruity palate and good acidity, these fine bubbles are the green light for discerning drinkers to salute responsible viticulture.
Taittinger Vintage 2005, £38, Majestic
Rich and sumptuous with aromas of freshly baked brioche, and mouth-filling honey and fresh fruits with a hint of pink grapefruit to give some extra complexity, it’s a trophy choice from this hot and dry year.
You may also want to watch:
Ayala Millesime Brut 2002, £42.95, www.champagnedirect.co.uk
A stunning sparkler for champagne connoisseurs fond of a dryer style, Ayala has a real corker with its 2002 vintage.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Havering Hospitality Hero: Hornchurch's Tandoori Lounge racks up awards
Gosset Grand Millesime 2004, £59.95, www.champagnedirect.co.uk
Exuberant on the nose with nuts, dried fruit and citrus notes, complex fruity flavours and a honeyed floral note with a hint of marzipan on the long finish, its finesse and complexity will age gracefully. Fit for a king or queen.
Pol Roger Brut Blanc de Blancs 2002, £70, www.bbr.com
Winston Churchill’s champagne of choice, Pol Roger named one of its cuvees after the great man, who loved its robust and mature style.
Dom Perignon Vintage 2003, £140, www.harrods.com
A byword for luxury, Dom Perignon’s 2003 vintage joins one of the world’s most famous prestige champagne cuvees.
Famous for its ability to age, the Dom’s silky beads can take a decade or more to reach their full potential. Ready to drink now, it’s a show-stopper for the hedonist in the cellar.