‘Don’t argue about the silly things’: Rainham couple of 60 years celebrate their diamond anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A couple with an incredible 17 great grandchildren have revealed the secret to their happy marriage on the eve of their diamond wedding anniversary.
Ron Hawes, 85, and his wife Ada, 79, of Cherry Tree Lane, Rainham, will be celebrating 60 years of marital bliss on Thursday, and have told the Recorder all about their time together.
The pair met when Ron was running a local judo club, and the sparks flew almost instantly.
He said: “She had a mate who used to work in the canteen so I’d run into her. We went out a few times and now here we are.”
The pair were married in Stepney on September 28, 1957.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s no real secret to any of it,” said Ron. “You just have to stand by each other through thick and thin and make sure you don’t argue about the silly things – we’ve never once had an argument about money or anything.
“The only important thing is that you support and love each other.”
- 1 Four people taken to hospital after Romford town centre incident
- 2 East London police officer charged with rape
- 3 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 4 Mourners to host vigil in Harold Hill park for lost teenage boys
- 5 Nurse pulls man from burning car after Romford crash
- 6 Romford location ‘encapsulates Britain’ in soon to premiere horror movie
- 7 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 8 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 9 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 10 Covid-19 cases surge in Havering, latest figures reveal
The pair have lived a long and happy life together, and have an incredible four children, nine grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.
Next February they’ll be welcoming their first great-great-grandchild.