‘Don’t argue about the silly things’: Rainham couple of 60 years celebrate their diamond anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A couple with an incredible 17 great grandchildren have revealed the secret to their happy marriage on the eve of their diamond wedding anniversary.
Ron Hawes, 85, and his wife Ada, 79, of Cherry Tree Lane, Rainham, will be celebrating 60 years of marital bliss on Thursday, and have told the Recorder all about their time together.
The pair met when Ron was running a local judo club, and the sparks flew almost instantly.
He said: “She had a mate who used to work in the canteen so I’d run into her. We went out a few times and now here we are.”
The pair were married in Stepney on September 28, 1957.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s no real secret to any of it,” said Ron. “You just have to stand by each other through thick and thin and make sure you don’t argue about the silly things – we’ve never once had an argument about money or anything.
“The only important thing is that you support and love each other.”
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 5 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 6 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 9 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 10 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
The pair have lived a long and happy life together, and have an incredible four children, nine grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.
Next February they’ll be welcoming their first great-great-grandchild.