Discarded cigarette causes rubbish fire in Harold Hill

A discarded cigarette is being blamed for a rubbish blaze in the refuge area of a block of flats.

Firefighters from Harold Hill fire station attended the incident in Farringdon Avenue, Harold Hill yesterday (Wednesday February 8) at 10pm.

It took crews an hour and a half to control the fire and to make sure the area was safe.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “The cause of the fire was accidental but we believe that it was caused by a cigarette not being discarded properly.

“People need to make sure that their cigarettes are fully extinguished before throwing them in the bin.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter