Defeat spoils Green’s big day
Daggers winger Danny J Green made his long-awaited debut in Good Friday’s 1-0 defeat at home to Plymouth, but admitted the disappointing result took the gloss off of his afternoon.
The 20-year-old moved to Victoria Road from non-league Billericay Town last summer and made his first appearance as a 76th-minute replacement for John Akinde in Friday’s game.
The former Harlow, Bishops Stortford and Chelmsford midfielder had a shot pushed wide by Plymouth keeper David Button in the dying moments and was disappointed not to score the equaliser that would have eased his side’s relegation fears.
“I thought the goal was going to come, I had a good chance. I did hit the target, but the keeper got down well,” he said.
“Maybe I should have done a little bit better, but it’s just one of those things, we were piling on the pressure, it just didn’t come. It was good to make my debut, but the result overlooks it, it makes it not as good.”
You may also want to watch:
Green played the final 21 minutes of Daggers 2-1 defeat at Huddersfield on Easter Monday and while the results have been hugely disappointing for Green and Dagenham, the rookie midfielder has been pleased with his progress to the first team this season and hopes he can play a part in the club’s future.
“It’s my first season back as a pro, so they’re trying to bring me in slowly and encourage me and improve my game,” he said.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 3 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 4 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 5 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 6 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
- 8 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 9 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 10 Construction of new Rainham Leisure centre pushed back to 2022
“My strengths are taking people on and getting crosses in the box. That’s what a winger should do in my opinion.
“(Danny) Green is a slightly different player, but I definitely look at Dazza (Darren Currie) who’s very technically gifted. I look at him and look up to him.”